Sh@y's Proverbs

-To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the GREATEST accomplishment... Ralph Waldo Emmerson

-If at first you don't succeed, try not to act surprised...

-Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out!

-You can't fix stupid! Period.

-Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together!

-Attitude is a small thing, but makes a BIG difference!

-Our eyes are placed in front because it is more important to look ahead than to look back.

-Don't play games with a girl who can play BETTER:)

-The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think

-The BEST thing about chasing your dreams is... You can have as many as you want, and they can change anytime. Life is ALWAYS going to be full of surprises! In order to WIN the race, you've got to actually be IN the race!

-Our inside jokes, too many to name. When we're apart, it's never the same. When we're together it's nothing but fun. Replacing my girls, just can't be done.

-If she is amazing, she wont be easy. If she is easy, she wont be amazing. If she is worth it, you wont give up. If you give up, you are not worth it!! Period.

-DON'T LIVE BENEATH YOUR PRIVILEDGES!!!

Thursday, March 15, 2012

There Once Was a Girl Who Fell Out of a TREE!

There once was a girl who fell out of a tree! What was she doing in the tree? That my dear friends is a good question. Was it because the tree looked inviting? Or maybe she was peer pressured? It could be that she was just having fun, and things just went wrong! Whatever the case may be, we all now know that "tree-hugging" is dangerous. For some people particularly named Shay it can be costly!
For those of you who may not know, I, Shay Harvey being 22 of age fell out of a tree on February 18th 2012 and BROKE my back!! According to my friends who were with me at the time, I landed in the best possible way! And after seeing the picture I am about to post you will most likely agree! I, myself after checking out the pictures realized I am very fortunate to be in the situation that I am in!
To make a long story short, I will condense the accounts of my fall as to keep this blog post from being a serious novel!
I climbed up the tree, was on a branch that was roughly 15 ft. above ground and I then proceeded to grab the tree branch above me. Then I wrapped my legs around it and hung on it like a monkey (that is where my blond roots kicked in). Well as I brought my legs back down to the branch I was originally on my hands slipped and I fell! BAM!! Feet, sort of tuck, and BUTT hits the ground! Immediately, I felt stupid and started laughing saying, "Why did I do that?" Well I realized my back hurt, and I couldn't really feel anything below my hips!! I then rolled to my side (cause is felt better on my back) and I started to move my legs! I could feel them both, but I couldn't feel my left foot! I could move it, but I couldn't feel it! Well Thad (one of my friends who was there) picked me up straight off the ground and they helped me to the truck! We then headed straight to the hospital! Once at the E.R. Chantel ran into the building to tell them her friend had fallen out of a tree and had hurt her back pretty bad! The E.R. personnel came out to assess the situation! They opened the back door and were surprised to see a 22 year old, instead of an 8 year old! They put me on the board, then on a stretcher and take me inside! I explain what happens, they run tests, IV me, and take a CT scan! My parents arrived at the hospital by then and they told us that I had a burst fracture of my L4 vertebrae! The doctor on the clock said he wanted to life flight me down Vegas ASAP because it was critical and I needed to get down there right away! They strap me down and put a catheter in me (yeah, that was fun, I was like WHOA there, take me to dinner first haha), took me out to the helicopter, where I then asked "do I get any salted peanuts on this flight?" NEGATIVE! You'd think with how much the flight cost I'd get some sort of complimentary items!! Oh well! We got to Vegas in 30 minutes or so! And the next morning (which is Sunday) I receive a series of test! We started with an X-ray, CT, and an 1 1/2 hour MRI!! Come to find out I have a 30% compression fracture of my L4 vertebrae and slight paralysis in my left leg! I have the option to do surgery or heal naturally! I decided to heal naturally! That means 3 months in a back brace, that I wear all the time, except when I'm laying down in bed!

GREAT STORY, yeah?!! So awesome!! I left out a lot of the boring stuff! But what you should know is that I laugh when I'm in serious pain and I become even more of a smart alleck (that's how I "deal" with pain)!! I'm not gonna tip toe around the bush and tell you that I'm doing good, and things are going smooth because that would be a lie because I am in pain almost all the time!! But I will tell you that your ATTITUDE is a 100% of how things go and turn out! YES, it sucks going from being extremely active, to barely being able to walk... yes, it sucks not being able to drive, bend, twist, go up OR down stair, put on your own socks, pick things up you drop on the ground, or lift things.... yes, I hate being dependent on people.... yes, I realized I took SO many things for granted!... and YESSSS, I don't see the need to be nothing less than happy all the time!! WHY??
Because, WHAT IS THE POINT OF BEING SAD OR DEPRESSED ABOUT SOMETHING YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER??? Life is for living! And even though I can't do a whole lot, I am still living it!! I have races with my fellow old lady neighbors in their walkers... and yes, I do win!! I still go to Costco with my mom, mostly because I have nothing else better to do, but also because there is no point to sit at home and mope!! I am 6 ft tall... I stand out... I stand out even MORE, with a VERY slow limp walk, and a bright colorful brace around my torso! It would be easy to say I was the star at Costco yesterday! :)
But I just laugh about it! :)
I guess what I am trying to say is, Tree-hugging is dangerous!hahaha... And that things turn out best for the people who make the best out of the way things turn out!
Just a little something to think about:)
I am happy to report I am doing pretty dang good! I can walk around withOUT the walker and I can get up and down a lot better! Stairs on the other hand are a NO-GO! But, I would like to thank everyone for all the prayers, thoughts, and good well wishes! I truly am so blessed to have so many AMAZING people in my life! It's sad to admit that you usually don't notice how good you've got it, until something crazy happens!! So, from the bottom of my heart AND broken back I want to say THANK YOU and I LOVE YOU muchos times infinity:):)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness sake!! You are a true inspiration to have such an amazing attitude! Christa just found out and told me about your blog. You have amazing writing skills. As I would tell my students, your writing has amazing voice!
    Our prayers are with you for a full recovery from pain! Take care and love to you! Aunt Denise Harvey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shay, I can't even being to fathom what that is like. I'm sorry that happened.:'( You are so awesome to have such a positive outlook on something as painful as breaking your back. You are strong to let it heal naturally. My thoughts are with you.
    I still love ya after all that has happened. I wish you the best.
    Aunt Paulette

    ReplyDelete