Sh@y's Proverbs

-To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the GREATEST accomplishment... Ralph Waldo Emmerson

-If at first you don't succeed, try not to act surprised...

-Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out!

-You can't fix stupid! Period.

-Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together!

-Attitude is a small thing, but makes a BIG difference!

-Our eyes are placed in front because it is more important to look ahead than to look back.

-Don't play games with a girl who can play BETTER:)

-The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think

-The BEST thing about chasing your dreams is... You can have as many as you want, and they can change anytime. Life is ALWAYS going to be full of surprises! In order to WIN the race, you've got to actually be IN the race!

-Our inside jokes, too many to name. When we're apart, it's never the same. When we're together it's nothing but fun. Replacing my girls, just can't be done.

-If she is amazing, she wont be easy. If she is easy, she wont be amazing. If she is worth it, you wont give up. If you give up, you are not worth it!! Period.

-DON'T LIVE BENEATH YOUR PRIVILEDGES!!!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

....Mormon Standard Norms.....


So on June 12th two more friends of mine got married. Before I start my post I want everyone to know how excited I am for them to have found their perfect spouse's or fiance's! They have all found awesome "other halves" and I couldn't be more happy for each and every one of them!!
Many would agree that marriage is a major step in ones life. Would I be off my rocker saying this?!? Hands?!? No?... Well then I'll continue onward... Once you are married you are married to that one person (unless you are a member of the polygamist cult) FOREVER and in LDS cases for ETERNITY! Which for you math whizzes I will say that is a VERY, VERY, very long time. As a young single latter day saint woman I have found that all this recent activity of nuptials is becoming slightly disheartening. According to most Mormon norms most girls get married between the ages of 18-22, with the peak age of marriage being 19 or 20. I have been graduated from high school for 2 years now and at this moment I have 25 girls in my grade out of 100 that are either already married or currently engaged. That's 1/4th of the girls in my grade!! 8 of those girls are pregnant or already have a baby. Never in my wildest imagination did I think I would married let alone have a kid when I went to my brother's graduation. I feel like an old maid according to Mormon norms. Just a little side note for any followers of this blog, my absolutely biggest fears in this whole world is... to die an old-maid!!! I hear it all the time that there is no rush, but it's hard to not worry about it when every time you get on facebook there are new engagement pictures popping up and emails asking for peoples addresses!! Now the grade just younger than me is starting up with marriages too!! I am sure my grade has more marriages than the grade above us! Let's look beyond my class, just friends in general. Friends I just met in college are all getting married/engaged or in some cases (practically engaged)!! Some days I feel like I missed the email(memo) that said, "PICK YOUR FIANCE HERE" So I could become engaged or married along with a gazillion other people I know!
But do you know what I realized, that I am free!!! Right now if I felt like it I could sign up with ILP and go teach English in a foreign country!! I don't have to worry about leaving my boyfriend or fiance or husband for 4 months! I can pick up and do anything I please!! RIGHT NOW I CAN BE SELFISH!!! I can go to work, then after work go party it up with my friends until the wee hours of the morning and not worry about calling someone to let them know I am going to be home late, or pay for a babysitter!! I do what I want, when I want, and I have no one to worry about besides myself! Granted I do worry about others that is just my caring nature but in the end staying up late is only going to effect me, no one else, no husband, no baby!!! Another positive that I found was I can date whoever! I can have random non-commitment make-outs(ncmo) with any Henry, Jim, Mike, Leon, Brad, or Jordan I want!! :)
Bottom line, I'm living life before I settle down and get married! I didn't miss that email(memo) I saw it, and then I freakin DELETED it!!!! I am single and I love it. I am not committed to another person. I am going to fly by the seat of my pants everyday! If this makes me an "old maid" by imaginary Mormon standards then so be it!!

1 comment:

  1. Only marry when you are ready.. forget what "norms" are out there! LOL I think the whole marry early pressure is a joke. I did get married early, but Matt and I are different. We have been together a LONG time, and we felt like we could do more in life if we were together. So I totally understand where you're coming from :)

    ReplyDelete